Flickr is a popular web site for hosting images and organising communities of interest around images on any given subject.
The Encyclopedia of Life (EOL) has established a group on Flickr to allow anyone to share their images of identified species of plants, animals or microorganisms. This group can be found at http://www.flickr.com/groups/encyclopedia_of_life/.
Anyone with a Flickr account can contribute images to this group. The only requirements are that the images should be licensed with a Public Domain or Creative Commons licence and tagged with machine tags indicating the species represented. These requirements are fully explained on the group page. Images shared in this way will ultimately be indexed and exposed through the EOL web site. There is a tutorial with slides as well.
1. Join the EOL group in Flickr
2. The image is public.
3. The image is licensed with one of the following licenses:
– Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY)
– Creative Commons Non-Commercial (CC-BY-NC)
– Creative Commons Share-Alike (CC-BY-SA)
– Creative Commons Non-Commercial Share Alike (CC-BY-NC-SA)
4. The image has at least two machine tags with a scientific name: e.g. “
taxonomy:binomial=Corvus brachyrhynchos” and “
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.