Data upload templates
Data upload templates
What is a data upload template?
Data upload templates are used to upload bulk data into the ALA.
How do I use the data upload template?
The data upload templates (except for the profile template) have a top row with a link to the Darwin Core definition and a second simple description. If you have a default value you can use, copy it to all the cells in the column.
To use the templates:
- Set any defaults possible and then review the records sheet, copying the values down any columns with a default. If you have additional information that doesn’t fit the standard fields provided, then add additional columns to the end of the records sheet, the information will stay with the records and we’ll include them as much as possible in the Atlas display. When your customised template is set, copy your data across.
- Log in to the ALA and fill out the form including the license to be used to share the dataset and how you would like to be attributed. If you are sharing a species list, indicate the location the list is for as:
- a point (set of coordinates) and radius, OR
- the locality name available from the ALA gazetteer, OR
- Well Known Text (WKT) copied from the ALA Spatial Portal, OR
- an attached shapefile (these can be generated in the spatial portal) in a zipped file with the species list.
- Upload your completed template and click submit.
What if I have too many records for a spreadsheet?
If you have more records than can fit into a spreadsheet, consider using the customised schema (don’t forget the defaults) to build a database table in another system and upload it.
How do I use the profile template?
The profile template includes a terms and definitions sheet describing the fields on the profile data sheet. The key to sharing profile information is to include a scientific or common name and wherever possible a reference to the source of the information.
Download a data set template
- ALA occurrence data template – simple [.xls 20KB]
- ALA occurrence data template – high quality [.xls 32KB]
- ALA species list template [.xls 20KB]
- ALA multimedia template [.xls 20KB]
- ALA species profile template [.xls 23KB]
If you have any questions about using the templates or web form please contact our data management team.