Designed to streamline your research, the ALA enables data access, storage, analysis and visualisation. The ALA brings dispersed biodiversity data to your desktop and provides powerful mapping and analysis tools, so you can refine and interrogate data and make it fit for your use.
Explore & contribute
Search occurrence records in the ALA by species, taxon, dataset, date, location, data provider and more.
Search datasets provided to the ALA by collecting institutions, individual collectors and community groups.
Browse Australia’s collection institutions, the collections they hold and view records of individual specimens.
Install and use our R package that allows simple access to ALA data, tools and services.
Experiments in code, data analysis & visualisation using data sourced from the ALA.
Visualise and analyse relationships between species, location and environment.
Biodiversity data access
- Search occurrence records: filter and download species occurrence records from museums and herbaria, government departments, field observations and community groups.
- Advanced search: search authoritative data on species; regions, localities and environmental layers; datasets; natural history collections.
- Share your data: submit a dataset, upload your own species list.
- Access specially filtered community data hubs:
Visualisation and analysis tools
- Use the Spatial Portal to:
- Use the Sensitive Data Service to remove or obfuscate location data for sensitive species.