Activity 3 uses the ALA data and doesn’t involve going out and collecting any data for yourself. If you would like to use data from your area, see User Guide 1 – Finding the species recorded in our area.
The following is a table from the ALA containing the mammal species numbers recorded in the area surrounding the suburb of Theodore in the ACT.
- Using this table, write the Common Names of the 9 mammals with the most records, starting with the most.
- Draw a column graph to represent these 9 mammals.
- Generate a pie chart showing these 9 mammals.
- Which graph do you think represents the information best? Why?
- What fraction of the mammals recorded in this table are Eastern Grey Kangaroos?
- What fraction of the mammals recorded in this table are introduced species?
- You are visiting this area. Using your column graph data, what is the percentage probability that the first mammal you see will be a rabbit?
- Do you think it is correct to say that the most common mammal species in Theodore is the Eastern Grey Kangaroo?